I agree. I think cyberbullying is an issue that will continue to be present as long as technology is a major part of society. It definitely needs to be addressed in all schools, across grade levels!
There should be more parent awareness of what their children are doing on-line. Many things could be prevented in concerns to cyber bullying if their was some supervision.
I agree that schools need to teach cyberbullying. But first, schools need some type of policy in place to deal with instances of cyberbullying that disrupt the school environment.
Cyberbullying should be the responsibility of schools even though most activity does not occur in the schools very similar to the way sex education and drug use is a school responsibility even though this doesn't occur in school. -Josh B.
I agree that cyber bullying is a school as well as a community issue. We need to work together to learn more about how to handle the issues that we are being faced with in this new wave of bullying.
Technology has become easily assessible to most students. This makes it hard for parents and educators to monitor their use. Schools should educate parents and students on what cyberbullying is and prevention and intervention strategies. AC
While it is very important to protect our children we must be careful not so allow our fears to restrict our freedom to explore and express ourselves. Cyberbullying is real but fear can put a hold on progress. Careful thought before you proceed.
Are we are supposed to respond about blogging or talk about cyberbullying? I am confused per the posts above.
In responding to the topic of blogging, like everything, it has positive and negative sides. My cousin writes a blog and by reading hers, I have started reading other peoples blogs. These personal blogs are about healthy living. They are uplifting and encouraging. People who post on these blogs are always positive and have seem to be motivated and taken by the bloggers stories.
I am sure there are many dark blogs that are unhealthy to follow. People may leave mean comments and be hurtful. Like everything else, bloggers should be very careful to protect themselves and teenagers should be monitored on what they are reading.
But overall, blogging can be a really positive way to tell a real story that people can connect with, give hope, teach something, etc. (S. M.)
In terms of "to blog or not to blog,"I think just like everything, there are both positive and negative sides.
My cousin started her own blog and I would follow her. Through her blog, I started reading other peoples blogs about the topic of healthy living. All the blogs were up beat and encouraging. The followers that commented on the blogs are always very supportive and have found motivation in their stories.
I am sure there are dark and scary blogs to follow that might make readers fall into a dangerous path of thinking, as well as, people that will leave hurtful and mean comments. Just like with everything online, bloggers need to protect themselves and parents need to be monitoring what their children are reading.
However, I do feel like blogging is a way to tell real life stories that people can connect with, learn something from, or receive encouragement or motivation. (S.M.)
As for blogging, I am in support of it. It is the choice of the person who begins the blog to write whatever they are interested in writing. The safety measures that one may take while adding to their digital footprint are hopefully taken into account, keeping in mind that the blog will be available for all to see.
Blogging actually seems more inconspicuous than a social networking system like Facebook, because usually people do not know about the blog until they are led to it. Unless someone goes searching for one's specific blog or the writer advertises it to others, it usually goes on unnoticed. On a networking site such as Facebook, someone may find you through other friends or by some other (scarily) simple ways.
The beauty of a blog is that it is there, but one is not bombarded by it if they do not want to be. It can be read, or it can just sit out in cyberspace. It is not a profile status on Facebook that is there whenever someone opens up their main page, it is not annoying emails that are clogging up their inbox. If someone wants to write one, they will write one. If someone wants to read one, they will read one. And if one cares to not bring blogging into their cyber-world, then it is their choice. (JFS)
I believe that we all have the individual choice to blog or not to blog, but I choose not to blog. I do not feel comfortable sharing my personal information on the web and I prefer to stay in touch with loved ones by phone calls, getting together, and emailing pictures to speficic people who I do not get to see often. There are several safely precautions one can take in divulging personal information online, but I feel the best way to maintain privacy is to not put information online at all. I also would feel narcissistic creating a blog page and assuming that people care that deeply about what I have going on in my life. I would never want to come across that way. Lastly, I would just simply not want to spend my few free moments I have everyday sitting on the computer.
With all that being said, I sincerely do not judge those who choose to blog. It can be a terrific way to learn new ideas from others, connect socially, or simply be entertained. I know that blogging works for a lot of people, especially those who live far away from their family and like to give updates on how they are doing. It can give people a sense of being close, even though they phyically can not be close to someone. It can also be a time-saver if you could blog about a recent event instead of calling several people to tell them about it.
I can see both side of the coin, but for me the choice right now is not to blog. (LO)
I think Blogging is a way to tell people about what our view of the subject is. In the past I have read Blogs in regards to television shows to gain more information about what I have missed. I think if it is used in a positive manner it can be good but there is the other side of blogging.
Like someone said in class if you put yourself out there you need to accept the consequences. Blogging is your own personal view but if someone misinterprets your statements it can cause disruption. I also think that teens blog for different reasons than most. They have a hidden agenda to use it for bad not good.
I personally would not blog - I am not a strong writer for one and I have nothing interesting to write about. Like I stated above Blogging should only be used to share "POSITIVE" information or for good not bad. CH
I am not a fan of blogging. It can be used for information gathering (sometimes I find myself checking out mommy blogs to help answer some of my new mom questions) but more often than not, it's just a way to post opinions about something. I've seen a few in the past that all seemed negative, and sometimes the person posting didn't seem to have a clue about what they were discussing. Blogging has potential to be resourceful because it is a great way to share information. But usually, it's just a place to post personal opinion, which I don't find very helpful. Blogging is not for me. EL
I think blogs can be a fun way to have a civil debate or express opinion. Unfortunately, many bloggers go over the top and discussions turn into arguments, threats and disparagement of those that don't share your opinion
Blogging can be a creative outlet for indviduals to express themselves. The annonymous nature of a blog can help those who have difficulty sharing with others. I think blogging is a great resource for teens. When I was a teen, I wrote in my diary, now teens can create a blog that includes text, pics and digital art. -CB
I tried this once already but it didn't seem to work. My apologies if this is redundant. I think blogging can be a great form of expression. It allows individuals to discuss a topic who might not be comfortable sharing with others. This is a great way for shy or socially isolated teens to communicate with the world. I personally have never blogged before but I am very intrigued by the whole process. It is the "diary" of today!
I agree with those who said that there are both positive and negative sides to blogging. I think blogging is a great way to share information with others who may have a common interest. For students, blogging may create an opportunity to communicate with others who have had very different life experiences. I think blogging would be a great experience for the students at my school, as it is a VERY rural community. Many students never experience life outside of a small town. In addition, there is virtually NO racial or cultural diversity in our school. For these reasons, I think students could learn a lot from blogging. On the negative side, if students (or adults) utilize blogs to put down others or spread hateful messages it can be dangerous. As with everything else on the internet, we as educators have t teach students the appropriate ways to use these tools rather than just telling them not to. -JR
I have never blogged, so this is my first! But I may be a bad example because I have also never facebooked or myspaced! Call me old fashioned, or just old! I am too caught up in the worry of violating my privacy so I have stayed away from these communications. I read one blog on our local newspaper that related to a couple of my students and so many of the comments were so ignorant and sickening, I formed my opinion of blogs and it's not a good one. It seems to give open license to posting hurtful words about others. But, acknowledging and agreeing with the point made by others in the class, participating in blogs is an individual's choice, including reading them. And there are many that are used very positively. I personally think the bad outweighs the good. And I strongly disagree with a blog being the diary of today! Diaries are not meant to be shared. srp
For cyberbullies, blogging is just another forum in which they can get to their victims. I think there are both positives and negatives to blogging. I am a first time blogger! I do not blog and I am not a frequent reader of blogs. I honestly think that they drag on about random topics. I do think that blogging is part of the evolution of journalism. When individuals are able to blog, more opinions reach the masses. More points of view are available for people to read and respond to. But I do think it can be a double edged sword. It can be used for harm in some circumstances where people are posting inappropriate things about other people and where people can respond to those posts. But in the most part I think when used responsibly it can be used to get your opinions out there. LR
From my personal experience, I think blogging can be a great way for a person who is knowledgeable in a specific area to inform others of helpful information. The types of blogs that I have read include gardening, healthy habits and exercise blogs. Also, my brother and his fiance spent 3 month in Italy. While they were there they created a blog where they uploaded their pictures daily and commented on what they did that day. This was nice for us as his family because we were able to see what they were doing and almost experience what they were experiencing in their travels. I also felt it was beneficial for them because it was a great way to document what they had done and they will be able to look back at the blog as a vivid remembrance of their travels. I think when used safely, blogging can be a great tool for communication for people throughout the world. JI 7/15/10 11:45am
I have never blogged before. I know educators that blog in their class with their students and I could see how it could be a useful tool. I think keeping it in the confines of an educational setting is the way to start with youngsters. They need to learn to be respectful and responsible just like how they would talk in class. Hopefully, once they become adults they will not write rude comments in their own blog. I've thought about setting up a blog for my students to type to each other in Japanese. It would be through the school grading site so contained and monitored by me. Maybe I could even set up a blog with an English learning class in Japan! I can see the draw of wanting to share information and discuss viewpoints with others. Blogs can make it easy to find similar views one has and thus feel connected to others, too. However, students need to learn how to blog appropriately and safely. Actually, adults need to learn that, too! So I haven't blogged, but I have thought about using it in a class. I personally don't see myself blogging (except as a tool for teaching within the confines of my school). SG
Cyberbullying is a serious problem that needs to be addressed by educators, parents, and authorities. The community must come together to assist our youth in becoming more aware of the seriousness of cyberbullying and how to handle and react to predators as well as develop strategies to use in order to reduce cyberbullying.
This is my first blog ever (woo-hoo) Anyway, I am in the summer class 2010 and I am really enjoying the course. It is a crucial course to offer as I'm sure that not many teachers can be considered "digital natives". We all need to understand the widespread and growing problem of cyberbullying. JR 7-25-2010
I too am in the summer cyberbullying class and am enjoying the class. I feel like I haven't given this topic enough thought before taking the course. Hopefully by the end I will have a much broader knowledge and awareness of the mediums that students are using online especially when it involves bullying. SM 7/25/10
I didn't know anything about cyberbullying before I began this class. So far it has been very informative and sobering. I look forward to three more days and also finishing my application project to use next school year... SR
This class has a great deal to offer. We need to teach all children - starting at the primary level - to use computers and other technology in appropriate ways. We also need to teach the children what to do if they run into a problem. JH
Before taking this course, I had heard of cyberbullying, but had no idea how huge this issue really is. As stated on one of the previous posts, this is a problem that needs to be addressed by everyone: students, parents, educators, administrators, internet providers, social network creators, and law enforcement. We need to combat this "monster" using ALL the resources we have at our disposal! With each login, child or adult, the opportunity to spread this "virus" increases. Thank heavens there are people who recognize this and offer places for people to turn to: websites, articles, or classes :)VH
Cyberbullying truly effects the school learning climate. Unfortunately, many of the things that happen outside of school between students carry over into the classroom and we need to develop better strategies to address these problems.
I think photoshop is pretty interesting. However it can be used in cyberbullying. It is very easy to take a picture and form it into something good or bad. People have to be very careful when using photoshop. If you teach using photoshop, you need to make sure that you teach certain rules for it.
I am learning about photoshop, specifically the website www.picnik.com. I never knew there was an online source that could photoshop various pictures. This is a highly creative, inventive tool but one I can see has the potential to be very hurtful. In my class we are learning about cyberbullying and I can see where technologically savvy teens could use this website to hurt their fellow classmates if they so choose.
The cyberbullying class is extremely informative. I was familiar with various high-profile cyberbullying cases but I am learning of the many tools that cyberbullies can use. I am learning of the numerous sites that can be fertile grounds for predators. I am also learing about the implications/legal issues for educators.
I agree I can use this information in my classroom to inform and educate my students how their actions can greatly effect others in a matter of seconds. Dana
All the information in the course is so important and useful. Teaching students to be responsible and respect themselves and others, face to face or digitally, is the greatest lesson we can give. Janet
Before posting this blog, I read other people's posts and was pleased to see that we all agree about teaching our children respect and responsibilities. Whatever they have learned as children they will carry on their entire life and what kind of people they become is going to be shaping their relationship with others. Regardless of the medium of the communication, they need to realize that mutual respect is the key. E.D.
This cyberbullying class is really great! I am learning a lot about how to bring awareness to our schools and how to involve administrators and parents more. I'm glad to see that so many people are interested in the class.
Cyberbullying is indeed an increasingly prevalent issue faced by youth around the world. It has become clear that local and/or state-mandated interventions need to be implemented in an effort to reduce the emotional effects of this growing phenomenon.
Blogging is strictly personal preference, I for one am not interested in posting, however, on occasion I will read some to gather information and see people's opinions.
Cyberbullying should be addressed in all schools.
ReplyDeletehellz yeah!
ReplyDeleteSome people have way too much time on their hands!
ReplyDeletedid you find it aliscia??
ReplyDeleteI agree. I think cyberbullying is an issue that will continue to be present as long as technology is a major part of society. It definitely needs to be addressed in all schools, across grade levels!
ReplyDeleteCyber Sisters Rule!
ReplyDeleteCyberbullying should be a part of the regular school curriculum.
ReplyDeleteIt's way to easy to make snide comments on here!
ReplyDeleteI am learning a lot of new information in the Cyberbullying class.
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe that cyberbulling is NOT discussed and students are NOT provided with education to not be cyberbullies or the VICTIMS.
ReplyDeleteHey...I thought this class was supposed to teach us how to cyberbully...not why its bad!
ReplyDeleteSchools need to provide education about cyberbullying to children parents and the community.
ReplyDeleteSince I am anonymous, you don't know who I am! I could be anyone sitting here making fun of you...
ReplyDeleteThere should be more parent awareness of what their children are doing on-line. Many things could be prevented in concerns to cyber bullying if their was some supervision.
ReplyDeleteSquirrel.... this class is a lot of fun. I like what I am learning and the people I am learning it with.
ReplyDeleteCyberbullying is a reality in the life of today's teens. We ignore it at our peril.
ReplyDeleteI agree that schools need to teach cyberbullying. But first, schools need some type of policy in place to deal with instances of cyberbullying that disrupt the school environment.
ReplyDeleteElaine R
Cyberbullying is a community issue as well as a school issue.sl
ReplyDeleteschools should educate both parents and students about cyber bullying.
ReplyDeleteSquirrel
ReplyDeleteLove the stories! Schools really need to address this issue and educate parents and the community.
ReplyDeletesh
Parents need to become more aware of what their students are doing on-line. Schools can help educate parents as a cyberbullying prevention method.
ReplyDeleteI never realized that Cyberbullying was such a big issue. Taking this class is helping me become more aware of this.
ReplyDeleteCyberbullying should be the responsibility of schools even though most activity does not occur in the schools very similar to the way sex education and drug use is a school responsibility even though this doesn't occur in school.
ReplyDelete-Josh B.
I agree that cyber bullying is a school as well as a community issue. We need to work together to learn more about how to handle the issues that we are being faced with in this new wave of bullying.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous hit the nail on the head. As professionals we need to be aware of the ramifications to our students.
ReplyDeleteI agree, but how do we tackle that one?
ReplyDeleteK
I'm going to find out if my school has a cyberbullying policy. dp
ReplyDeleteI hear you anonymous!
ReplyDeleteParents, school officials,teachers and law enforcement need to be aware and put a stop to it. jm/km
ReplyDeleteTechnology has become easily assessible to most students. This makes it hard for parents and educators to monitor their use. Schools should educate parents and students on what cyberbullying is and prevention and intervention strategies.
ReplyDeleteAC
I agree, but how do we go about implementing a policy at our school?K O
ReplyDeleteCyberbullying is quite a concern and we are going to go back to our districts and inform, inform, inform.
ReplyDeleteJV
While it is very important to protect our children we must be careful not so allow our fears to restrict our freedom to explore and express ourselves. Cyberbullying is real but fear can put a hold on progress. Careful thought before you proceed.
ReplyDeleteHopefully, educators will recognize the seriousness of the problem of cyberbullying and become more educated about it - jp
ReplyDeleteHere is our class
ReplyDeleteHere is our class
ReplyDeleteAre we are supposed to respond about blogging or talk about cyberbullying? I am confused per the posts above.
ReplyDeleteIn responding to the topic of blogging, like everything, it has positive and negative sides. My cousin writes a blog and by reading hers, I have started reading other peoples blogs. These personal blogs are about healthy living. They are uplifting and encouraging. People who post on these blogs are always positive and have seem to be motivated and taken by the bloggers stories.
I am sure there are many dark blogs that are unhealthy to follow. People may leave mean comments and be hurtful. Like everything else, bloggers should be very careful to protect themselves and teenagers should be monitored on what they are reading.
But overall, blogging can be a really positive way to tell a real story that people can connect with, give hope, teach something, etc. (S. M.)
In terms of "to blog or not to blog,"I think just like everything, there are both positive and negative sides.
ReplyDeleteMy cousin started her own blog and I would follow her. Through her blog, I started reading other peoples blogs about the topic of healthy living. All the blogs were up beat and encouraging. The followers that commented on the blogs are always very supportive and have found motivation in their stories.
I am sure there are dark and scary blogs to follow that might make readers fall into a dangerous path of thinking, as well as, people that will leave hurtful and mean comments. Just like with everything online, bloggers need to protect themselves and parents need to be monitoring what their children are reading.
However, I do feel like blogging is a way to tell real life stories that people can connect with, learn something from, or receive encouragement or motivation. (S.M.)
As for blogging, I am in support of it. It is the choice of the person who begins the blog to write whatever they are interested in writing. The safety measures that one may take while adding to their digital footprint are hopefully taken into account, keeping in mind that the blog will be available for all to see.
ReplyDeleteBlogging actually seems more inconspicuous than a social networking system like Facebook, because usually people do not know about the blog until they are led to it. Unless someone goes searching for one's specific blog or the writer advertises it to others, it usually goes on unnoticed. On a networking site such as Facebook, someone may find you through other friends or by some other (scarily) simple ways.
The beauty of a blog is that it is there, but one is not bombarded by it if they do not want to be. It can be read, or it can just sit out in cyberspace. It is not a profile status on Facebook that is there whenever someone opens up their main page, it is not annoying emails that are clogging up their inbox. If someone wants to write one, they will write one. If someone wants to read one, they will read one. And if one cares to not bring blogging into their cyber-world, then it is their choice. (JFS)
I believe that we all have the individual choice to blog or not to blog, but I choose not to blog. I do not feel comfortable sharing my personal information on the web and I prefer to stay in touch with loved ones by phone calls, getting together, and emailing pictures to speficic people who I do not get to see often. There are several safely precautions one can take in divulging personal information online, but I feel the best way to maintain privacy is to not put information online at all. I also would feel narcissistic creating a blog page and assuming that people care that deeply about what I have going on in my life. I would never want to come across that way. Lastly, I would just simply not want to spend my few free moments I have everyday sitting on the computer.
ReplyDeleteWith all that being said, I sincerely do not judge those who choose to blog. It can be a terrific way to learn new ideas from others, connect socially, or simply be entertained. I know that blogging works for a lot of people, especially those who live far away from their family and like to give updates on how they are doing. It can give people a sense of being close, even though they phyically can not be close to someone. It can also be a time-saver if you could blog about a recent event instead of calling several people to tell them about it.
I can see both side of the coin, but for me the choice right now is not to blog.
(LO)
To Blog or not to Blog
ReplyDeleteI think Blogging is a way to tell people about what our view of the subject is. In the past I have read Blogs in regards to television shows to gain more information about what I have missed. I think if it is used in a positive manner it can be good but there is the other side of blogging.
Like someone said in class if you put yourself out there you need to accept the consequences. Blogging is your own personal view but if someone misinterprets your statements it can cause disruption. I also think that teens blog for different reasons than most. They have a hidden agenda to use it for bad not good.
I personally would not blog - I am not a strong writer for one and I have nothing interesting to write about. Like I stated above Blogging should only be used to share "POSITIVE" information or for good not bad. CH
I am not a fan of blogging. It can be used for information gathering (sometimes I find myself checking out mommy blogs to help answer some of my new mom questions) but more often than not, it's just a way to post opinions about something. I've seen a few in the past that all seemed negative, and sometimes the person posting didn't seem to have a clue about what they were discussing. Blogging has potential to be resourceful because it is a great way to share information. But usually, it's just a place to post personal opinion, which I don't find very helpful. Blogging is not for me. EL
ReplyDeleteI think blogs can be a fun way to have a civil debate or express opinion. Unfortunately, many bloggers go over the top and discussions turn into arguments, threats and disparagement of those that don't share your opinion
ReplyDeleteBlogging can be a creative outlet for indviduals to express themselves. The annonymous nature of a blog can help those who have difficulty sharing with others. I think blogging is a great resource for teens. When I was a teen, I wrote in my diary, now teens can create a blog that includes text, pics and digital art. -CB
ReplyDeleteI tried this once already but it didn't seem to work. My apologies if this is redundant. I think blogging can be a great form of expression. It allows individuals to discuss a topic who might not be comfortable sharing with others. This is a great way for shy or socially isolated teens to communicate with the world. I personally have never blogged before but I am very intrigued by the whole process. It is the "diary" of today!
ReplyDeleteI agree with those who said that there are both positive and negative sides to blogging. I think blogging is a great way to share information with others who may have a common interest. For students, blogging may create an opportunity to communicate with others who have had very different life experiences. I think blogging would be a great experience for the students at my school, as it is a VERY rural community. Many students never experience life outside of a small town. In addition, there is virtually NO racial or cultural diversity in our school. For these reasons, I think students could learn a lot from blogging.
ReplyDeleteOn the negative side, if students (or adults) utilize blogs to put down others or spread hateful messages it can be dangerous. As with everything else on the internet, we as educators have t teach students the appropriate ways to use these tools rather than just telling them not to. -JR
I have never blogged, so this is my first! But I may be a bad example because I have also never facebooked or myspaced! Call me old fashioned, or just old! I am too caught up in the worry of violating my privacy so I have stayed away from these communications. I read one blog on our local newspaper that related to a couple of my students and so many of the comments were so ignorant and sickening, I formed my opinion of blogs and it's not a good one. It seems to give open license to posting hurtful words about others.
ReplyDeleteBut, acknowledging and agreeing with the point made by others in the class, participating in blogs is an individual's choice, including reading them. And there are many that are used very positively. I personally think the bad outweighs the good.
And I strongly disagree with a blog being the diary of today! Diaries are not meant to be shared. srp
For cyberbullies, blogging is just another forum in which they can get to their victims. I think there are both positives and negatives to blogging. I am a first time blogger! I do not blog and I am not a frequent reader of blogs. I honestly think that they drag on about random topics. I do think that blogging is part of the evolution of journalism. When individuals are able to blog, more opinions reach the masses. More points of view are available for people to read and respond to. But I do think it can be a double edged sword. It can be used for harm in some circumstances where people are posting inappropriate things about other people and where people can respond to those posts. But in the most part I think when used responsibly it can be used to get your opinions out there.
ReplyDeleteLR
From my personal experience, I think blogging can be a great way for a person who is knowledgeable in a specific area to inform others of helpful information. The types of blogs that I have read include gardening, healthy habits and exercise blogs. Also, my brother and his fiance spent 3 month in Italy. While they were there they created a blog where they uploaded their pictures daily and commented on what they did that day. This was nice for us as his family because we were able to see what they were doing and almost experience what they were experiencing in their travels. I also felt it was beneficial for them because it was a great way to document what they had done and they will be able to look back at the blog as a vivid remembrance of their travels. I think when used safely, blogging can be a great tool for communication for people throughout the world. JI 7/15/10 11:45am
ReplyDeleteI have never blogged before. I know educators that blog in their class with their students and I could see how it could be a useful tool. I think keeping it in the confines of an educational setting is the way to start with youngsters. They need to learn to be respectful and responsible just like how they would talk in class. Hopefully, once they become adults they will not write rude comments in their own blog. I've thought about setting up a blog for my students to type to each other in Japanese. It would be through the school grading site so contained and monitored by me. Maybe I could even set up a blog with an English learning class in Japan!
ReplyDeleteI can see the draw of wanting to share information and discuss viewpoints with others. Blogs can make it easy to find similar views one has and thus feel connected to others, too.
However, students need to learn how to blog appropriately and safely. Actually, adults need to learn that, too!
So I haven't blogged, but I have thought about using it in a class. I personally don't see myself blogging (except as a tool for teaching within the confines of my school).
SG
Cyberbullying is a serious problem that needs to be addressed by educators, parents, and authorities. The community must come together to assist our youth in becoming more aware of the seriousness of cyberbullying and how to handle and react to predators as well as develop strategies to use in order to reduce cyberbullying.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first blog ever (woo-hoo) Anyway, I am in the summer class 2010 and I am really enjoying the course. It is a crucial course to offer as I'm sure that not many teachers can be considered "digital natives". We all need to understand the widespread and growing problem of cyberbullying. JR 7-25-2010
ReplyDeleteI too am in the summer cyberbullying class and am enjoying the class. I feel like I haven't given this topic enough thought before taking the course. Hopefully by the end I will have a much broader knowledge and awareness of the mediums that students are using online especially when it involves bullying.
ReplyDeleteSM 7/25/10
I didn't know anything about cyberbullying before I began this class. So far it has been very informative and sobering. I look forward to three more days and also finishing my application project to use next school year...
ReplyDeleteSR
This class has a great deal to offer. We need to teach all children - starting at the primary level - to use computers and other technology in appropriate ways. We also need to teach the children what to do if they run into a problem. JH
ReplyDeleteBefore taking this course, I had heard of cyberbullying, but had no idea how huge this issue really is. As stated on one of the previous posts, this is a problem that needs to be addressed by everyone: students, parents, educators, administrators, internet providers, social network creators, and law enforcement. We need to combat this "monster" using ALL the resources we have at our disposal! With each login, child or adult, the opportunity to spread this "virus" increases. Thank heavens there are people who recognize this and offer places for people to turn to: websites, articles, or classes :)VH
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think of photoshopping
ReplyDeleteI can't believe all the options available to modify images!
ReplyDeleteCyberbullying truly effects the school learning climate. Unfortunately, many of the things that happen outside of school between students carry over into the classroom and we need to develop better strategies to address these problems.
ReplyDeleteI think photoshop is pretty interesting. However it can be used in cyberbullying. It is very easy to take a picture and form it into something good or bad. People have to be very careful when using photoshop. If you teach using photoshop, you need to make sure that you teach certain rules for it.
ReplyDeleteI am learning about photoshop, specifically the website www.picnik.com. I never knew there was an online source that could photoshop various pictures. This is a highly creative, inventive tool but one I can see has the potential to be very hurtful. In my class we are learning about cyberbullying and I can see where technologically savvy teens could use this website to hurt their fellow classmates if they so choose.
ReplyDeleteThe cyberbullying class is extremely informative. I was familiar with various high-profile cyberbullying cases but I am learning of the many tools that cyberbullies can use. I am learning of the numerous sites that can be fertile grounds for predators. I am also learing about the implications/legal issues for educators.
ReplyDeleteThis course is helping me understand the severity of this problem and all the means students have at their fingertips to abuse others. Rae Anne
ReplyDeleteI agree I can use this information in my classroom to inform and educate my students how their actions can greatly effect others in a matter of seconds. Dana
ReplyDeleteAll the information in the course is so important and useful. Teaching students to be responsible and respect themselves and others, face to face or digitally, is the greatest lesson we can give. Janet
ReplyDeleteBefore posting this blog, I read other people's posts and was pleased to see that we all agree about teaching our children respect and responsibilities. Whatever they have learned as children they will carry on their entire life and what kind of people they become is going to be shaping their relationship with others. Regardless of the medium of the communication, they need to realize that mutual respect is the key.
ReplyDeleteE.D.
This cyberbullying class is really great! I am learning a lot about how to bring awareness to our schools and how to involve administrators and parents more. I'm glad to see that so many people are interested in the class.
ReplyDeleteHmmm...
ReplyDeleteso...
ReplyDeleteCyberbullying is indeed an increasingly prevalent issue faced by youth around the world. It has become clear that local and/or state-mandated interventions need to be implemented in an effort to reduce the emotional effects of this growing phenomenon.
ReplyDeleteBlogging is strictly personal preference, I for one am not interested in posting, however, on occasion I will read some to gather information and see people's opinions.
ReplyDeleteCyberbullying makes me really think about how I will teach my own kids about the dangers of posting personal information and photographs online.
ReplyDelete